Pages

Hand quilting is alive and well all around the world! Join with fellow hand quilters to share techniques, tips,
and the BEAUTIFUL quilts being made by others who share your passion for quilting... by HAND!

Join Our Facebook Group!

If you want to join our Facebook group, please know that we look carefully at your own Facebook profile to make sure you aren't a spammer. Your profile should reflect that of a quilter. Please make sure that we can see 1) a photo of YOU, 2) some of your photos of quilting. Most quilters have joined more than one group on Facebook, and are happy to show quilty pictures. If you have security settings on your Facebook profile locked down so much that we can't tell anything about you, chances are that your request to join will be refused. We don't do this to be mean, but to keep out individuals who are stalking our over 2000 members and trying to advertise to them. If you have any questions, please contact Caron Mosey, Site Administrator.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Needles and Batting choices in Japan


by Julie Fukuda 

I am always interested in how quilters chose favorites.

Living in Japan, I find I am at the mercy of the local shops.If you buy what is on the shelves and don't like it, you have wasted money.

I carry a small plastic soy sauce bottle in my sewing box and in it are numerous bits of broken needles. Some of them broke in the first few minutes of using and some bent into a bow within the first half hour. Clover and Milward in the broken department and EZquilting in the bend department.

The best needles I have found are made by S.Thomas & Sons in England. I used to buy them in a local quilt store but that closed several years ago and I had to use what the shops carried. Then, I found a vendor at the quilt shows that brings a supply to Tokyo and I stock up.

Batting had been a problem here in Japan. There are plenty of packaged battings, and while once there was little choice, now they come in an assortment of sizes. The major problem is that other than size and content, you have no idea what is in that tightly wrapped package. By the time you purchase it and use it and discover it pills on the surface of the quilt, it is too late. I have little money to waste on things I can't use so I was glad to discover 3M Thinsulate. I think this product is made to be used in clothing but this is what I like about it....

First, it has a slightly tacky texture. When I hand quilt, the layers do not slide or shift and I don't need tons of basting.

Secondly, I can buy it in a variety of lofts which is good for puffy winter quilts or light summer quilts or even table covers.

Thirdly, if I buy a whole bolt, it is much cheaper and I can piece it to the size I desire without a lot of waste.

Lastly, I find it is lovely to quilt through and even the thinnest is puffy enough to show the quilting design. I have heard that there are quilt bats being made of Thinsulate but so far it is not sold in Japan. I have heard of other batting that quilters recommend but I am so happy with what I am using now that I have no desire to change.

I have heard that Japanese-made quilting supplies have been improved recently. Access to imported supplies is a bit limited, but my favorites are worth the hunt in the long-run.

5 comments:

  1. When you have limited access to batting, I can imagine that finding a great batting that is available is a great gift! And I can imagine you stick with it. I never heard of your brand of needles. Will check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting to use Thinsulate as batting. What an intriguing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used Flannel but know others in other countries that have no access to batting that use it. That might be an option to try on a think quilt sometime. I have not heard of your needles
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this post was made almost a year ago but I'm just catching up :)
    I'm wondering, since I've been reading that the Japanese are proud of thier needle making, if there is a certain one to get from Japan. I acutally have a friend there but I would have to tell her exactly what to get since she doesn't know anything about quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie. Where do you buy your 3M Thinsulate? Is there an online shop?

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments. Please make sure you have your email enabled so we can write you back!