Pages

Hand quilting is alive and well all around the world! Join with fellow hand quilters to share techniques, tips,
and the BEAUTIFUL quilts being made by others who share your passion for quilting... by HAND!

Join Our Facebook Group!

If you want to join our Facebook group, please know that we look carefully at your own Facebook profile to make sure you aren't a spammer. Your profile should reflect that of a quilter. Please make sure that we can see 1) a photo of YOU, 2) some of your photos of quilting. Most quilters have joined more than one group on Facebook, and are happy to show quilty pictures. If you have security settings on your Facebook profile locked down so much that we can't tell anything about you, chances are that your request to join will be refused. We don't do this to be mean, but to keep out individuals who are stalking our over 2000 members and trying to advertise to them. If you have any questions, please contact Caron Mosey, Site Administrator.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Quilt batting

by Mary Carolyn

My favorites have been posted already this month - Poly-Fil Cotton Classic and Quilters' Dream Cotton Request weight, both thin, 100% cotton.  I love both and keep them on my shelf.  Which I have more of depends on what was just on sale.  To me, both are easy to needle and give me the finished look I want.  I always wash my quilts when they're completed because I love and want the puckered look of an old quilt.  I just tried a blend I purchased several years ago, Hobb's 80/20 cotton/poly blend and I'm not at all impressed.  I followed the directions on the wrapper (which says 3% shrinkage but I didn't do a 'before' measurement) for spacing my quilting but it wasn't close enough.  Perhaps if I'd done more quilting on it, I'd like it better.  I'll try it again on a doll quilt as a test because I have two packages of it, both king size!  Luckily, this quilt was something I machine quilted  because it's intended as a play quilt for a two year old and not an heirloom.  I normally applique and quilt by hand.  If I'd done that on this quilt, I'd be really disappointed right now so it's back to my old stand-bys until I've done some testing.

Even though thimbles were a topic last month, I have to add I love the Clover thimble.  I can grip my needle with the sides (rubber? poly? I don't know) and don't have to reach for the pliers when I'm doing a utilitarian stitch.  My finger seems to be between standard sizes and this one fits.  The sides give just enough to go on and be comfortable but not fall off.  I have spares and I don't usually buy spares of thimbles.


2 comments:

  1. I think there are a lot of us that love Quilters Dream Cotton - it just quilts well and a lot of us love that crinkly look!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the quilters dream is an amazing cotton for hand quilting, especially for reproduction quilts.

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments. Please make sure you have your email enabled so we can write you back!